With these priesthood purposes at the core of all activities, the Aaronic Priesthood program is intended to help young men gain a testimony of Jesus Christ, recognize their particular gifts and the Lord’s expectations for them, and prepare for worthy receipt of the Melchizedek Priesthood, for missions, for temple marriage, for fatherhood, and for a lifetime of service in the Church. Scouting is a valuable resource for accomplishing many of the objectives outlined for Aaronic Priesthood activities, but leaders should recognize that it may not be the best vehicle for accomplishing some priesthood purposes. Hence, a healthy balance of all seven of the activity areas is not only desirable but essential.
- Learn the gospel and build testimonies of Jesus Christ.
- Give welfare and temporal service.
- Prepare for and give missionary service.
- Give genealogical/temple service.
- Strengthen families.
- Build quorum brotherhood.
- Activate young men of quorum age.
- Build proper relationships with young women.
- Prepare for eternal marriage and fatherhood.
- Have leadership experiences.
- Develop talents.
The Aaronic Priesthood purposes help you to:
- Become converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ and live its teachings.
- Serve faithfully in priesthood callings and fulfill the responsibilities of priesthood offices.
- Give meaningful service.
- Prepare and live worthily to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and temple ordinances.
- Prepare to serve an honorable full-time mission.
- Obtain as much education as possible.
- Prepare to become a worthy husband and father.
- Give proper respect to women, girls, and children.
The Duty to God Award program will help you achieve these purposes of the Aaronic Priesthood. To qualify for the Duty to God Award, you need to achieve and complete Aaronic Priesthood purposes and also participate in family activities, specific quorum activities, a Duty to God service project, keeping a personal journal, and completing personal goals in each of four categories:
- Spiritual Development
- Physical Development
- Educational, Personal, and Career Development
- Citizenship and Social Development